About the Kent-Valentine House

Overview

Kent-Valentine House, entry wayThe Kent-Valentine House has been restored to its 19th century grandeur and renovated to meet the needs of the 21st century. Flanked by majestic magnolia trees and with Roman Ionic columns creating an architectural effect of elegance, this imposing eighteen room antebellum residence is one of the last dwellings in downtown Richmond surrounded by the original trees.

Brief History

Built in 1845, the Kent-Valentine House was designed by Isaiah Rogers, a prominent Boston architect, who once served as Supervising Architect of the United States.

The original owner, Mr. Horace L. Kent, worked as wholesale dry goods merchant and served Richmond City Council in 1868.

In the early 1900s the house was sold to the Granville Valentine family who added the beautiful east wing with a Colonial Revival style and a third floor. The third floor was a functional space used by the Valentine family as a classroom for their children.

In 1971, the Garden Club of Virginia purchased the house and transformed the residence into a functional space while maintaining its architectural integrity.

In 1995, a complete restoration was done by the Garden Club of Virginia to preserve each parlor to its original design, reflecting the Colonial and Gothic revival styles. During this restoration, a tower was added to the east side of the house that included an elevator, allowing the house to be handicapped accessible.

 

The Perfect Venue for...

  • Rehearsal Dinners,

  • Wedding Receptions,

  • Social Gathering or

  • Business Meetings

Reserve in advance to save your date!